Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Adaptation of Gaia in an Everchanging World

I have been spending a great deal of time thinking on our Earth and how our progress has changed not only our society, but the effects it has had on our world. This is what had inspired my most recent painting "The Adaptation of Gaia". Looking back through history and at the changes, growth, and progressions we have made, one has to wonder...have the changes been made in a responsible way? (Well, certainly not.) Has Greed won out over the long term changes we have placed on this world we live in?
Close view of The Adaptation of Gaia by Jeanne Fry

I marvel at Mother Earth's flexibility, and her ability to adapt. Though I know that everything has their breaking point, a point where something can only bend so much before it in fact will break. My hope is that big business, corporations, and those in authority will begin to factor the future into their decision making. That the all mighty dollar will not control every venture, and that on a global level our Earth, our basis of life, will become of high importance once again.

The Adaptation of Gaia Contemporary Folk Art Painting by Jeanne Fry
In ancient Greek religion, Gaia was known to be the great mother to all, Mother Earth. Here in my painting, I have created Gaia, rising from the Earth. Atop her head, symbolically for atop our world, is the industrialization of our society..the architecture of our inventions. Freeways and roads intertwine through her hair. Her balance of earth and sky, and the appearance of vines and leaves growing on top of....in spite of....is her adaptation to the change. Here I am portraying the fragile balance of our Earth and our Progress as Humans, both valued. My hope it that more conscious thought be placed on keeping a balance.

The "Adaptation of Gaia" painting is available for sale in my Etsy Shop here:
Adaptation of Gaia Painting for Sale on Etsy



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...